It was an honor to hear from Shelley Wilson, President of Wilson Care Group, Hawaii’s largest private-duty home health care service provider.
Having grown up from a farm in Iowa, Shelley wanted more out of life and joined the U.S. Army after graduating from high school. Shortly after joining the military, she was involved in a car accident that broke bones in many parts of her body. She was only 18 years old and was hospitalized for a year.
Time is precious and with a second chance in life, Shelley wanted to make an impact. It is through her journey to recovery when she realized how important good quality home care can change the course of someone’s life. She finished her recovery at the Tripler Army Medical Center in Hawaii. The bond in Hawaii and the Ohana spirit inspired Shelley to start her first company, Wilson Homecare. Now, Wilson Homecare and Wilson Senior Living comprise Wilson Care Group.
Shelley also spoke about her company’s mission and culture. Everyone who works at Wilson Care Group must have the passion in taking care of others. In Wilson Care Group, everyone has a voice. Shelley listens to her employees and welcomes different perspective and ideas. She also encourages her employees to have fun and at the same time, taking the job seriously.
Shelley closed the session with a few Keys to Success:
1. Find your passion as it will drive your mission in life.
2. Create your own journey/story, and be your own person even if you have to start at the bottom.
3. Be optimistic. Whatever you do in life, have a mindset that you will be 100% successful. Be open to failure . This is when you gain knowledge about yourself and grow.
4. Don’t listen to the naysayers. You are the only cheerleader that you need. You cannot count on others to determine if you are going to be successful or not.
5. Hustle to make things happen and be resourceful. Life is a grind.
Written by: Hogan Entrepreneurs Program student, Kalei Ehlers
Speaker Session with Shelley Wilson